ASUS’s TUF Gaming line of gaming laptops have always been a pretty solid deal with great performance. And the FX505DT/FX505 series is not an exception here as well. The laptop gets a lot of things right, and ASUS claims to offer high-end gaming experiences on this laptop, at a relatively affordable price of just ₹58,990 (can go upto 54,990 during sale).
Asus TUF Gaming FX505DT Specifications
|Display||15.6-inch FullHD Anti-glare display @120Hz|
|Processor||Ryzen 5 3550H @2.1 GHz|
|Storage||1TB HDD + 256GB PCIe SSD|
|Graphics||Nvidia GeForce GTX1650 GPU with 4GB GDDR5 VRAM|
|Connectivity||WiFi 802.11ac; Bluetooth 5.0|
|I/O||2 x USB 3.0 Gen1|
3.5mm headphone and microphone combo jack
Design and Build
The FX505DT comes in a very familiar design, which is fine, since the TUF Gaming line up has always had a decent design language that’s neither too out there, nor too shy to show off its beastly side. The outer lid of the laptop has a nice matte finish with an ASUS logo in the center which lights up in a soft golden-yellow hue instead of the usual red colors. The build is sturdy enough to get the job done. In fact, like most other ASUS Laptops, this one too is MIL-STD-810G certified for durability.
Once you open the lid up, you’re greeted with a bright, 15.6-inch Full HD display on the laptop, which, as is the case with most gaming laptops these days, has minimal bezels on the top and the sides, and a huge bezel on the bottom with the ASUS logo there as well. Media consumption on this laptop is great, thanks to the bright panel, and the awesome color reproduction. Viewing angles are decently good enough as well, but I don’t think you’ll find yourself in a situation where you have to look at your laptop from a side very often anyway.
The Keyboard also features full RGB lighting and offers full control over it with the help of Armoury Crate software. The keys are responsive and have 1.8mm travel, but the feedback is soft and soggy, worsened by the flex in the keyboard. So overall, this RGB-lit keyboard is great for gaming but not for typing.
All input-output ports are present on the left edge. These include an RJ-45 LAN port, one HDMI 2.0 port, one USB-A 2.0 port, two USB-A 3.1 ports, input for the ac power adapter, and a 3.5mm audio jack. The glaring omission is the SD card slot. A USB Type-C port would’ve been great too.
The Asus FX505DT is perhaps the most powerful AMD powered laptop we have experienced so far. It’s powered by AMD Rhyzen 5 3550H with integrated Radeon RX Vega 10 graphics and discrete NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 graphics card with 4GB GDDR5 video RAM. The RAM on board is single-channel 8GB, but users have the option to expand it to 32GB.
In real-world usage, the handset could handle all day-to-day tasks and multitasking with ease and all regular games without a hitch. The temperature remained within control even with prolonged gaming sessions.
ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DT: Battery and Audio
With light and moderate usage, the battery holds for around 3.5 to 4 hours on a full charge. With gaming, you’d want to keep the cord plugged in for turbo enhancements. When fully drained, charging the battery to full capacity takes approximately 2 hours. The battery backup is manageable but lesser than comparable Intel-powered machines.
The Asus TUF Gaming FX505DT has a couple of side-firing speakers, and together they can get quite loud. The quality of audio output, however, is nothing to write home about. If you are fastidious about audio, you will need to plug in headphones for a better experience. If not, you will manage fairly well with the FX505DT.
ASUS TUF Gaming FX505DT Specifications:
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 5-3550H processor, 2.1GHz Base speed (6MB cache, up to 3.7GHz)
- Memory & Storage: 8GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM upgradeable up to 32GB RAM with| NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 GDDR5 4GB VRAM Graphics| Storage: PCIe NVMe 512GB M.2 SSD
- Display: 15.6″ (16:9) LED-backlit FHD (1920×1080) 120Hz Anti-Glare IPS-level Panel with 45% NTSC
- Operating System: Pre-loaded Windows 10 Home with lifetime validity
- Design & battery: 6.5mm Thin bezel | Laptop weight 2.20kg | Lithium battery 3-Cell
- Hyper cool Technology: Anti-Dust Cooling | Powerful Dual Fan Design | Hyper Fan| Patented Trapezoid-cut Lid
- Keyboard: Highlighted WASD key group| All-zone RGB Backlight| 20 Million Key Presses | 1.8mm Key Travel| 0.25mm Keycap Curve| Over stroke Technology| Hyper Strike technology
- Audio : DTS Headphone: X technology| Authentic 7.1-Channel Surround Sound| Audophile-Grade Equalizer Sound| Optimized Game/ Movie/ Sports Audio Profile
- I/O Ports : 3.5mm Combo audio jack | Type-A USB 2.0| 2x Type-A USB 3.1 (Gen 1)| RJ45 LAN jack for LAN insert | HDMI 2.0
- Other: Tested and certified to meet military-grade MIL-STD-810G standards| Wi-Fi 5(802.11ac)| Kensington lock| HD 720p CMOS module Webcam
- Warranty: This genuine Asus laptop comes with a 1-year Global Warranty and Onsite Domestic Warranty.
Asus FX505DT Review: Verdict
The best part is that, the Asus TUF Gaming FX505DT has an extremely aggressive price to performance ratio, and no other laptops are found near this price segment or above that offers this level of performance for both gaming and casual use and that 120Hz display is just cherry on top for gamers out there in the wild searching for gaming laptops.